Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Joseph's Corner: First Post!

Rule #1: Stay hydrated!

Hello everybody! Finally, I have a chance to blog! These last few days have been incredibly busy, where to begin??
First of all, this journey started out with a little adventure of itself..after successfully flying from richmond to Miami, the only flight to Belize that day was cancelled due to "mechanical difficulties." When I tried to reschedule, I learned the only way to get ti Belize was to either wait until Sunday to make a direct flight, or fly to Dallas Saturday morning as a connection. Unfortunately, it turned out that it didn't matter which I had taken because the flight from Dallas turned out to be overbooked and I got pushed to the Sunday flight from Dallas. Luckily that plane didn't have anything wrong with it and I was able to arrive in Belize city around 2:30.
I have been staying in a small apartment underneath the Garel's house up until now, and they have graciously accepted me, welcoming me with open arms. I've shared the apartment with Paul Paytas, Joe Garel, Rowan's dad's, friend. He is visiting for the next few weeks as well and is joining the group on the walk across Belize. I'm very excited to have a fellow "gringo" along on the journey!
Today we drove out to the Guatemalan border to a small town called Benque in preparation for tomorrow's walk. The plan is to start bright and early at 4:30 in the morning and get about 6 or 7 hours before the heat, or any other crazy tropical weather has a chance to set in. Our group was actually supposed to get to sleep an hour ago, so I'm going to call it an early night (it's only 8:30 in Belize) and save all the good derails about our trip so far for tomorrow! Again, thank you guys so much for supporting rowan and I on our trip and for following this blog! Good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment